Usually “Mania” is the word I pair with Mango the most. It’s hard to resist the temptation of the mango classics like ice cream, cheesecakes, mousse and more. This time, however, “Mayhem” was definitely a better description of last week’s activities. Previously, I had often heard of unseasonal rains which would pretty much destroy mango crops for a whole season. This season, however, we got to feel the devastation on a more personal level.
The hailstorm that came wiped out an entire batch of 150 little chicks and nearly 2000 kgs of mangoes, a few weeks away from their prime. Sadly, fallen mangoes are not used in traditional pickling recipes as one spoilt fruit can impact the entire batch. We had very few options and time ahead of us, so we reached out to our SAGE families to see if they would like to use the fruit for anything at all, at no cost to them. And boy did we get an overwhelming response from all of you out there. And so would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to each and everyone who came through and helped us spread the word.
Coming back to business, for those of you with a few extra raw mangoes to spare, here are few recipes we whipped up to use up the mangoes we kept. Hope they could be of some use to all of you.
- A mango Rice recipe that is bound to bring back memories of childhood https://blog.sageorganics.in/mango-rice-evoking-childhood-memories/
- The perfect raw mango pickle to pair with your curd rice https://blog.sageorganics.in/?p=4159&preview=true
- The perfect tangy summer cooler – AAM PANNA https://blog.sageorganics.in/aam-panna-most-refreshing-way-to-stay-clear-of-the-summer-heat/
- Caramelized mango ….coming soon
- Raw mango salad…….coming soon